Monday, May 15, 2017

How to be a Legend

Hello! Now I can't lie so I'm going to be completely honest with you. This year was, honestly, one of the first years that I actually started reading outside of school. I had kind of a love hate relationship with books because I loved the stories but the fact that I had to sit and actually read, when I could be playing video games or something, was somewhat of a challenge. However this year I made school a higher priority because it is starting to get harder. In the spring semester we were told to read a book at all times, and finish it then move to the next book. One of the first books that I read earlier in the year was a book called Legend, written by Marie Lu.

The message of Legend is one relating to morals in life. In the book Lu conveys the message that despite possession of vast materials, or wealth, at the core people are the same, we experience the same emotions and act the same way. Lu sends this message by creating a close relationship between Day and June both of which have their differences in both wealth and possessions. Day is considered to be a "street rat", often stealing from stores, betting on local fights, and rummaging through garbage for food. He chose to live this way, nonetheless, and is on a mission to acquire medical benefits for his family, for they think he is dead. He does not have much but has enough to get by for himself and his younger friend Tess. June, however, lives in luxury for her parents worked directly for the government and was given the utmost care and benefits the government could provide. Her brother, Metias, is a soldier of the army, and June is a child genius getting a perfect score on her trial test, a standardized test given to all children at the age of ten to decide their careers later in life. After capturing day June was given two hundred thousand notes, currency of the government and is in fact a great amount. These differences are overlooked when the two, very different in social class, are brought together for a common goal and is disregarded when their relationship grows. This can be seen when Day says to June, "You're brilliant, but you're a fool to stay with someone like me." June replies by saying, "Then we're both fools." ( Lu pg. 303). Lu also gives the reader thoughts to carry outside of the book when Day says, "I wonder what we would've been like if I'd been born into a life more like yours, and you had been born into mine. Would we be just like we are now? Would I be one of the Republic's to soldiers? And would you be a famous criminal?" (Lu pg. 304) This helps pass the message, Lu is trying to give, that we should judge and love people by their character and behavior rather than their social or economic status. Lu also asks her audience about their character, with the second quote, asking if it would be different if you were very wealthy or poor, would you as a person, internally, differ than who you are today?

Legend is a book about June and Day, two kids living in two different governments in a split America. June is a child prodigy working for the republic and is on a mission to find the killer of her brother Matias. She later finds out that it was Day, the Republics most wanted criminal who has caused havoc on them for years. June is set off to find who killed her brother when she meets day, discovers that he's the one who not only wreaked havoc on the government but also killed her brother, turns him in. However, on the quest to find the killer of her brother, and before she held Day guilty, the two had built a strong relationship, so when given a chance to kill him, June bails him out and hops on a train to Las Vegas with him to save Days brother who is being held with the Patriots.

Overall Legend is a great book, and Lu is a great author. Currently I am planning on finishing the series, (my friends finishing before me is playing a small part), and maybe expanding to other Lu written books like The Young Elites series she just wrapped up this past October. I truly aspire to read more and blogging will certainly help me stay on task!!


2 comments:

  1. I like how you use your style in your writing. Makes me want to read more

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your take on the books and now I'm interested in The Young Elites.

    ReplyDelete